Monday, October 6, 2008

Commercials From My Childhood

So, I'm checking out YouTube, and wound up finding this compilation of 1980s commercials, with a few 70s commercials thrown in. I just had 10 minutes of "OMG I TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT" moments, so let me share. Here it is for your viewing pleasure, with my commentary below.



1) Tootsie Roll - this one was actually mid-late 70s, but revived in the late 80s. One of the earliest commercials that I remember, along with some cheesy Ne-Hi Cola commercial.

2) Wendy's, circa 1984 - "Where's The Beef" was one of the catchphrases of the mid 1980s, and was used in all of these out-of-context jokes, only to fall flat. I never thought it was funny.

3) Bonkers - Early 80s - loved me some Bonkers candy.

4) Tootsie Pop - mid-late 1970s. I couldn't get to the center without biting either. I'd try to count every time I saw this commercial. Didn't work. I'd bite.

5) Rainbow Brite Cereal - How the gay in me never responded to Rainbow Brite is a mystery to this day. She was fierce.

6) I don't remember this one at all, even though I watched He-Man religiously. This would have been '82-'83, maybe '84.

7) Karate Kid - This would have been 1984. I don't remember this one, as I was outgrowing action figures around this time.

8) Wendy's - More "Where's The Beef?".

9) McDonalds, a Xmas commercial. I don't remember this one at all.

10) Nintendo - c. 1987. I had Mario Bros (That was the original version, if I'm not mistaken), but not the robot or the zapper thingy.

11) Teddy Grahams cereal - people dressed up as animals doing cheesy covers of oldies. DO NOT WANT. Did not want then, do not want now. NEXT!

12) The little CBS Special Presentation theme! This came before TV movies and cartoon specials like "A Charlie Brown Christmas". This was from the 70s into the early 80s.

13) ABC Promo from 1985-ish - Tuesday night was "Who's The Boss" followed by "Growing Pains". Yes, they were hit shows. Yes, I watched them. I was 13 at the time. Sue me.

14) A&W. They didn't have A&W where I'm from, so...next! I believe this is capitalizing on a brief Tarzan craze around 1981-2, when Bo Derek was starring as Jane in Tarzan, The Ape Man.

15) NBC Thursday night promo from 1985 - The Cosby Show, one of the best episodes, too...followed by an episode of Family Ties, one that I do not remember.

16) Fruit Roll-Ups - these were new in the early 80s, and were a definite fad food for the kids. In the 4th grade, we'd all get them in our lunches and trade flavors. Good times!

17) Some annoying McDonalds commercial that I don't remember.

18) Play-Doh fun factory - the commercial is from 1984, but this was actually around since the late 70's, when I had one.

19) Another Wendy's commercial. I vaguely remember this one. Unremarkable.

20) Simon commercial - all New Waved out, and the theme is a blatant ripoff of the Police's "De Doo Doo Doo Da Da Da Da". I wonder if Sting knew about that.

21) Some pro-reading PSA, which I do not remember. I loved reading. I didn't need cartoons to encourage me.

Digg!
See my other site: http://www.popspoof.com

No comments: