Sunday, September 7, 2008

I Prefer Jill Sobule To Katy Perry

I remember earlier this summer, when I heard that a young singer named Katy Perry had a big hit with a song called "I Kissed A Girl". If you're one of the twelve people who haven't seen it, here it is:



There. That wasn't so bad, was it? It's a hell of a lot better than most of the crap that's being spewed out there lately. However - and call me old-fashioned if you must - but I cannot help but prefer a 1995 song by Jill Sobule by the same name. The video was very 90's, and even had Fabio! Check it out for yourself:



Maybe I'm getting old, but this is how I see it:

Jill Sobule's "I Kissed A Girl" = Playfully naughty romp into the exploration of one's lesbianism. "I kissed a girl, it felt like kissing me!"

Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl" = I kissed a girl, and it tasted like Jagermeister, cocaine, and bile. It's a wonder I have any memories of it.

You know?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you Jill's song is better, still not my cup of tea though.

Smartie said...

I think Jill's song was more about writing a goofy fun song. The other is a very calculated song designed to make bucks. Remember a song several years ago that went something like "Fuck my girlfriend" and a 'retaliatory' song came out "Fuck you right back" (or something similar). Both singers were on the same label, both sold a lot of singles, money was made. It's the blatant manufacture of songs kiddies will feel rebellious about singing which irks me. People don't write songs because they're angry any more, they write it for a buck. Modern pop is very boring because it's so obviously pushed and marketed and fake.

insaneinthesfv said...

Great. Now I've heard the Katy Perry "I Kissed A Girl" a few times now...and I liked it!